Tyson Fury told he’s not a ‘gate attraction’ and ‘nobody’s coming’ to see him in USA unless he’s fighting Deontay Wilder

131
Tyson Fury told he's not a 'gate attraction' and 'nobody's coming' to see him in USA unless he's fighting Deontay Wilder

According to PBC Vice President Tim Smith, TYSON FURY is not a blockbuster ticket seller in the United States.

Fury, 33, has made headlines five times in the states in his entire career so far, one in Las Vegas.

Tyson Fury takes on Deontay Wilder in front of a three-packed crowd

4

Tyson Fury takes on Deontay Wilder in front of a three-packed crowdcredit: REX
But his comparisons with Tom Schwarz and Otto Wallin were fought in front of less than 10,000 fans.

4

But his comparisons with Tom Schwarz and Otto Wallin were fought in front of less than 10,000 fans.credit: Alamy
And PBC's chairman and vice president Tim Smith is adamant that the Gypsy King isn't a big-ticket seller.

4

And PBC’s chairman and vice president Tim Smith is adamant that the Gypsy King isn’t a big-ticket seller.credit: getty

The WBC Heavyweight Champion’s trilogy with rival Deontay Wilder was fought in front of raucous crowds at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and the MGM Grand Garden and T-Mobile Arena in Vegas.

The Gypsy King clashed with Tom Schwarz and Otto Wallin in the latter two arenas, however, were attended by 9,012 and 8,249 fans, respectively.

And those poor attendances have left PBC chief Smith believing Britain needs a good dance partner to sell arenas.

He said: “You know, oh God bless Tyson Fury.

“But no one is coming to see Tyson Fury as the gate attraction unless he’s fighting Deontay Wilder, nobody.

“You know, maybe in England if he fights Anthony Joshua, he’ll have a gate charm. You know, maybe if he fights Usyk over there, it’s a gate charm.

Join San Vegas: GET FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100K GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs applicable)

“But in America, who’s coming to fight Tyson Fury with none other than Deontay Wilder?”

If his proposed grudge match with Dillian White takes place in Britain, Fury won’t have to worry about selling arenas.

The WBC has ordered the former lineal heavyweight champion to defend his title against his former sparring partner later this year.

Purge bids for the Battle of Britain were due this week, but have been postponed until January 18 to allow further talks between the two sides.

During an appearance on talkSPORT, Queensberry Promotions Chief Frank Warren said: “First of all, the Purse bid has now been pushed back a week.

“it had been [Saturday], so the purse bidding will be after seven days, so I guess it is next Monday or Tuesday.

“With regard to splits, of course, they deserve an appeal. I don’t think they will get anywhere because purse bids are based on boxers’ past earnings.

“Tyson’s last purse that [was] The one recorded with WBC was £20 million and Dillian White’s purse was £300,000, so that’s on the split it’s on.

“I can think of one situation last year when Canelo fought against his obligatory Billy Joe Saunders at the time, but Billy just struck a deal.

“There was no way he was going to receive any 45 percent of a purse because the person who generates the most money out of the two of them is Canelo.”

Tyson Fury will next defend his WBC heavyweight title in March

4

Tyson Fury will next defend his WBC heavyweight title in Marchcredit: Polaris

Warren said: “Certainly when you have a heavy weight generating wealth generated by Tyson, that kind of split is never going to happen.

“This is nothing new, at least it has been so for more than 25 years. Most organizations operate this way and that is it.

“They can make their appeal, from our point of view no one would say in any way that you can’t, but the fact is I don’t think it will matter.”

Free bets: Receive over £2,000 in new customer deals

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here