Chris Eubanks Jr thought he was stepping into the lion’s den as he takes on Welsh middleweight Liam Williams in Cardiff – but the fight has been called off again.
The British Boxing Board of Control had to cancel the bout as well as every fight in the UK throughout January.
Free bets: Receive over £2,000 in new customer deals
Next Gen has fought twice so far in 2021, looking at Marcus Morrison and Vanik Avdijan as he looks to move towards Gennady Golovkin and a world title shot.
Meanwhile Williams got his chance at the WBO middleweight crown in the summer, but fell on the wrong side of a unanimous decision against Demetrius Andrade.
This will be the Welshman’s first match in Cardiff since 2018, where he scored a strong second round goal from Craig Nicholson.
There is no love-lose between the two fighters and this Best of British fight could be one of the highlights of 2021.
When is Eubanks Jr vs Williams?
- The big domestic dust-up was scheduled for Saturday, January 29 – but was Postponed second time.
- Originally, the fight was scheduled for December 11, but Williams’ shoulder injury put the fight back six weeks.
- Now it will be held Saturday, February 5.
- It will be held at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, with approximately 7,000 fight fans.
- Evening entertainment will start around 6 pm, around the main event 10 p.m. GMT.
On which TV channel and live stream can I watch it?
You’ll be able to see every jab, duck and upper-cut at the Sky Sports Arena.
The exact timing is not yet confirmed, but it is likely that the evening entertainment will air from 7 pm onwards.
If you’re not a Sky subscriber, you can get a Now TV pass for £9.99.
SunSport will run a dedicated live blog for this fight, so you don’t miss a play.
Who else is fighting on the undercard?
As of now, the final card has not been confirmed.
But here’s what fight night in the Welsh capital looked like:
- Chris Eubanks Jr. vs. Liam Williams (middleweight)
- Claressa Shields vs Emma Kozin (Women’s WBC, WBA, IBF, WBF Middleweight Titles)
- Samuel Antwi vs Kona Walker (BBBOFC English Welterweight Title)
- Rhys Edwards vs TBC
- Bradley Ree vs TBC
what did they say
Eubanks Jr.: “I’m no stranger to going to a lion’s den. I’ve been bullied into arenas several times before.
“It doesn’t affect me. If anything, it makes me fight harder if the crowd is against me. Not to say that I hope they are. I hope I get a warm welcome.” .
“But either way, I’m going to go out there and get the job done.”
Williams: “He’s a sham. He just wants to make people believe that he’s on a certain level and everyone else is irrelevant and nobody is, but the reality of it is that he’s a clown.”
“We both have a style where we want to get into good fights and we can’t help but engage in them because we’re both courageous fighters.
“The fans are going to be the winners.”