Boxer Rolando Romero claims he has been acquitted of sexual assault charges.
And that could free him to rearrange his bout with Gervonta Davis.
Romero, a 26-year-old Nevada fighter, is at the center of a Henderson Police Department investigation following allegations from several women since October.
A 24-year-old said she was sexually assaulted at the boxer’s Las Vegas apartment in September 2020.
This saw that his December 5 pay-per-view WBA Lightweight Showdown with Davis was postponed.
But Romero, who has maintained his innocence throughout, believes he can return to the boxing ring after being let go without charge.
However, there has been no confirmation from the police regarding the outcome of the investigation.
Romero wrote on social media: “After [two]- Being defamed with false charges in the name of a month and a half, for missing out on opportunities, having been cheated of my dreams, and out of huge sums of money – formally closing the investigation into the charges leveled against me has been given.
Join San Vegas: GET FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100K GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs applicable)
“The charges were not filed because the charges could not be substantiated because as I have always said, I am innocent.”
He later added: “Incessant lies from an apparently ill and obsessive person cause slander in my name. There is no evidence for her claims – now and then – and she seeks constant attention from her attachment to my name.” .
“She will no longer be a part of my story.”
Romero and Davis, 27, staged their press conference before their fight last year, before the former was replaced by Isaac Cruz.
Cruz injured Davis from a distance before being out in a unanimous points decision.
But with 14-0 Romero and 26-0 Davies still unbeaten, there is a chance that the mouth-watering contest could be back in 2022.
‘Rowley’ last fought on July 17 last year when he stopped Anthony Yigit in the seventh round.